12/09/2009

The day the music, sadly, survived

My heart leapt today when I heard on the radio, the headline "Texas singer in critical condition in hospital" Unfortunately it seems that it isn't, in fact, Sharleen Spiteri, but rather guitarist, Alistair McErlaine - otherwise known as the one that doesn't currently inflict his "talents" on the unsuspecting world.


And so the news item just serves to highlight the inadequacies of the attention grabbing headline – now admittedly, this did work on me and I was seen by all and sundry grabbing fistfuls of air and doing a happy little dance, then tuning in intrigued only to be dashed... So the headline worked on the surface. But I can’t help noticing that it’s based on two basic premises, both wrong.

1. That Texas are currently a band

2. That the guitarist, who doesn’t actually sing, can be listed as a singer

A dark day for music indeed.

No comments: